BTG FORUMS
Forums -> News & Announcements -> Multiplayer BTGTD. Keep it running?
The GeekMessage
Sparticuslvl 19
Visit the App Stores to download the game!
Site Admin

Posted: 1/13/2015 7:04:31 AM   (Edited: 1/14/2015 10:40:13 AM)

Hey all,

I guess my attempt at multiplayer tower defence failed. It's not really played that much. I am curious on your thoughts as to if I should keep it running and available to play.

The reason I ask is because it costs me $800 a year to keep that game running (only because I need to pay extra to host it on a server that I have full access to... the game requires special software on the server to run it).

In a month or so is my next bill of $800. The site (because of the google ads, which most of you probably block :P) makes me a only $150 a year. So needless to say this site is expensive to run for me.

So, is it worth it to you guys to keep the multiplayer btgtd running? Would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks
Larsenlvl 62
mhmm

Posted: 1/13/2015 12:43:20 PM

It was really nice to play against others,
but most of the time the Lobby was empty.
For me, no.
hagon73lvl 99

Posted: 1/14/2015 4:43:47 AM

Hi,

never used it, so remove it if you want.
anonemouse2010lvl 101
L101, back to rhyming for fun
Geek

Posted: 1/14/2015 9:55:36 AM

I never got a chance to play because it wasn't working, and no one was on. That said, I'll throw a bit of money your way to keep things running later, because this site is great and I definitely want BTG to keep up.
njulianlvl 67
010 001 111
Geek

Posted: 1/14/2015 1:00:35 PM   (Edited: 1/14/2015 1:03:21 PM)

tl;dr
It's up to you, but you gave some good points to shut down MP BTG. Especially if this allows the normal BTG to run even longer.

In my opinion MP BTG failed, becuase it was pretty hard to find someone to play with. You couln't really idle in the lobby, because there was no way of getting noticed that someone joined in. The counter at the top of the page is a nice idea, but I still waited for many hours (in total not in a row) for someone to come. A loud beep woud've been nice.

Here is an other idea I had.
What about uploading or linking it on other sites like Kongregate and Armogames? If people could play in the same match via different sites it's more likely to get a full game. But this wouldn't cover the expenses as well. Probably you can earn a bit with ingame-ads like they are in Epic Battle Fantasy 4. After each battle it shows an ad randomly for Kongregate, Armoregames, the social Networks where you can follow Matt (who made the game) and HFX (who made the music). Something similar on the large blank space at the right of the Lobby could bring more people to Beatthegekk.com as well.

[quote=Sparticus]
(because of the google ads, which most of you probably block :P)
[/quote]
Yes, I'm blocking those ads with NoScript but not because they annoy, but becuase they are from google. Since Snowden I try to boykott software and online services from the USA - ironicly I'm writing this on Windows.
If the ads would come directly from beatthegeek.com I wouldn't block them. Similar to mozialla that show ads "from themself" and not from a third party service in Firefox.

[quote=anonemouse2010]
That said, I'll throw a bit of money your way to keep things running later
[/quote]
I'll donate as well. After over four years it's time to spend a symbolic Obolus for all the fun I had so far on this site.

/Edit: The formatting got a bit messed up from copy-pasting, no idea why.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/14/2015 2:33:45 PM

I have no plans on taking the entire site down. Worked too hard on it. I could probably host it on godaddy.com for $10 a month.... no big deal.

It's the $800 bill I get each year that hurts a bit more. And honestly if multi-player btgtd was being played lots and people enjoyed it, i'd have no problem paying for it. It's just tough to pay that amount of money when it get only gets played a handful of times a week.

But ya, you are right. I think the game mostly failed because of the lack of players. It's hard to get a game going. After I released it on this site I had planned on making it also playable on facebook... the players on facebook could play against the players on here. But after seeing how little it was played here I lost some motivation.

I have spent the last 2 months making my first android/iphone game. It's almost done. Hopefully when it's released you all check it out :)
chaosinmotionlvl 103
I should be looking for a job!
Nerd

Posted: 1/20/2015 10:04:45 PM

I really liked the MP game. The only issue is no one in the lobby. I think you have a lot of dedicated players, just not on at the same time or able to hook up in the lobby. Too bad you can't jump from a solo game to the lobby and leave the current game on pause, then return to it after the mpg.
Sparticuslvl 19
Site Admin

Posted: 1/22/2015 6:59:41 AM

If you are in the middle of a solo game and then you click the green "Join Lobby" button at the top of the screen it'll pause your solo game and send you to the multiplayer lobby.

chaosinmotionlvl 103
I should be looking for a job!
Nerd

Posted: 1/22/2015 8:59:56 PM

Ah, didn't know that or forgot. Something. :-)
luigi64fanlvl 5
Just found this game again. So nostalgic!

Posted: 12/14/2019 6:40:06 PM   (Edited: 12/14/2019 6:43:50 PM)

Please do! It was one of the first games I played and I'd hate to see it go.

Edit: Just realized I was 4 years too late.

Start Playing Now!
Returning Geeks Sign In
New Geeks Register

© 2010 - 2015, BeatTheGeek.com - Terms Of Service - Privacy Policy